TSL coaches have their say on the Devils future





With Tasmania Devils pathway manager Cameron Joyce leaving his post to coach Gold Coast’s AFLW side, there’s an important vacancy to fill for the future of Tasmanian football development.

In the wake of this, the coaches of the Tasmanian State Leagye have voiced their opinions on the current state of the Devils program and highlight potential candidates for the vacant role.

Kingborough Tigers coach Trent Baumeler reacted to suggestion the vacancy could be his, reinforcing the loyalty with his current side.

“Not for me personally, I’ve made a commitement to a group of players,” he said.

“I could never see myself turning my back on this group and searching for greener pastures.”

First year TSL senior coach Daniel Willing is still adjusting to his new role and wants to solidify his position at Lauderdale.

“With how I’ve been thrust into the position I’m in at the moment, my concentration lies (at Lauderale),” he said.

“I’m a Lauderdale Football Club person now. I’m in discussion with the club at the moment to extend [my contract].”

Willing also suggests it would be to the benefit of the program to seek some local leadership.

“It would be great to look for someone who might stick around, and spend a number of years with the group.”

MORE STATE LEAGUE NEWS

Around the States: June 9

Ryan Hebron – Part 1: VFL journey leads all the way home

Tenacious Tigers win first SANFLW premiership

Clarence coach Jeromey Webberley is out of contract at the end of the season and could be a possible candidate for the role.

“Certainly not this season, I’m committed to Clarence so that is where I’ll be spending my time this year,” he said.

“I’d have to weigh it up, I think it’s something that every coach would have to look at in some degree.”

Glenorchy coach Paul Kennedy stresses the need for a more committed Devils leader, and presents Webberley as a prime candidate.

“I was impressed by Cam (Cameron Joyce), I don’t think he’s done a perfect job, but I don’t think anyone could,” he said.

“We need to give more emphasis on people that are going to be committed to the future of Tasmanian Football.

“Last time they were interviewing for the Devils Jeromey Webberley applied for it, and I think he ticks all of those boxes.

“If we are really keen on developing Tasmanian football, let’s look at someone like Webberley, that has the knowledge and understands community Football in Tasmania.”

Launceston coach Mitch Thorpe suggests it would be more beneficial for the Devils program if Joyce were to see out the year and downplays his interest in the role.

“We’ve seen it before unfortunately, coaches come and go,” Thorpe said.

“It unsettles the Devils boys for the remainder of the season, it probably could’ve happened later in the year. I’m extremely respectful of the role I’m doing here at Launceston.”

The overwhelming view from senior TSL figures is to prioritise the commitment of the next person appointed to the Devils’ role.

TSL coaches want to ensure that the future of Tasmanian football development is in safe and capable hands.

Originally Posted on The Inner Sanctum

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/tsl-coaches-have-their-say-on-the-devils-future/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperdrive Grand Finale Season 2

Why are we still racing at Monaco?